Scientific Merit Paper Evaluation – See Details.
Throughout this course, you have learned about several research approaches in both qualitative and
quantitative methodology. Even though there are many ways in which researchers can solve research problems
with different research approaches and designs, there is one thing that all good scientific research has in
common: scientific merit.
At the beginning of the course, you were introduced to the concept of scientific merit. You learned that in order
for research to have scientific merit, it must achieve three things:
• It must contribute something new to the scientific knowledge base in the field. In order for research to
do this, a researcher must conduct a thorough literature review to identify a research problem. A
research problem is something that has not been addressed by previous research, and would be
meaningful to know. Often, the research problem is referred to as a gap in the literature.
• It must contribute to theory. Theories are the primary tools by which science organizes its
knowledge—the tools that allow the field to explain previous and current findings and predict future
ones. Research that has scientific merit can advance theories in several ways, including confirming,
extending, refuting, or proposing theories.
• It must meet the hallmarks of good research. This is the component that has been most emphasized in
this course as you have learned about the defining characteristics of the two methodologies and the
various approaches of both. But a researcher who has conducted high-quality research has only met this
criterion of scientific merit to the extent that the research design and procedures allowed the research
problem to be solved and the research questions to be answered. It is crucial to remember that the
purpose of research is to solve a research problem by investigating something that has not been
previously researched; that is, to fill the gap in the literature. Research methods are simply tools that
researchers use to do this. When researchers effectively use research methods to solve a research
problem, then we can say that the research has met the hallmarks of good research.
As a professional, you will be called upon to use research findings in the psychological literature. In order to do
this, you will be responsible for evaluating the scientific merit of the research that produced those findings.
While most research published in peer-reviewed journals can be trusted to have good scientific merit, it can be
risky not to evaluate research for yourself, especially research findings most pertinent to your work and career.
This course has given you the opportunity to learn how to do this for yourself, should you ever plan to do your
own research in the future. It has provided you with the necessary background regarding how to plan research
that has good scientific merit.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Discuss hallmarks of good research.
2. Distinguish three dimensions of scientific merit.
3. Apply principles of scientific merit to chosen research study.
Scientific Merit – STUDIES
Leedy and Ormrod text to complete the following:
• Review the “What Is Research” section of Chapter 1, “The Nature and Tools of Research,” pages 3–7.
This review will put the details of research methods you have learned in the class into a larger
• Review the Scientific Merit Presentation transcript piece. This will refresh your knowledge on
scientific merit to help you address this unit’s assignment.
SCIENTIFIC MERIT PAPER
Scientific Merit Paper Scoring Guide.
• Evaluates the scientific merit of the article by analyzing how the research advances the scientific knowledge base.
• Evaluates the scientific merit of the article by analyzing how the research contributes to research theory and the
field of study.
• Evaluates the scientific merit of the article by analyzing the scientific methods.
• Analyzes the validity and reliability of a selected research study and elaborates on how it contributes to scientific
• Analyzes the effectiveness of strategies selected for addressing ethical concerns in the design of a research study.
• Communicates in a manner that is completely scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for
members of the identified field of study, and uses APA style and formatting with few or no errors.
APA Style and Format.
Persistent Links and DOIs.
Using the research study you selected and attached, along with the course assignments for which
you deconstructed your research study, write a scientific merit paper. In your paper, address the following:
• Evaluate how a research study advances the scientific knowledge base of an identified field of study.
• Evaluate how a specific research study contributes to research theory and the field of study.
• Evaluate how the scientific methods of inquiry are applied to a specific research study.
• Evaluate the validity and reliability of a selected research study.
• Assess strategies for addressing ethical concerns in the design of a research study.
• Apply the terminology of research.
• Demonstrate both the depth and the breadth of your understanding of scientific research and
scientific merit by including relevant examples and supporting evidence.
scientific merit by including relevant examples and supporting evidence.
• The paper should be 10–12 pages long, not counting references, block quotes, or title page. Neither
an abstract nor table of content is required, and would not count in the paper length.
• Minimum of seven scholarly resources. It is expected that one of these resources will be the study you
selected for the Unit 2 assignment, and another will be the required textbook for the course, by
Leedy and Ormrod.
• Use APA style and formatting, including correct in-text citations, proper punctuation, double-spacing
throughout, proper headings and subheadings, no skipped lines before headings and subheadings,
proper paragraph and block indentation, no bolding, and no bullets.
• Include the permalink to your article on the title page of your paper.
Refer to the project description and the assignment scoring guide to make sure you meet the requirements
of this assignment.
At 111papers.com, we value all our customers, and for that, always strive to ensure that we deliver the best top-quality content that we can. All the processes, from writing, formatting, editing, and submission is 100% original and detail-oriented. With us, you are, therefore, always guaranteed quality work by certified and experienced writing professionals. We take pride in the university homework help services that we provide our customers.
As the best homework help service in the world, 111 Papers ensures that all customers are completely satisfied with the finished product before disbursing payment. You are not obligated to pay for the final product if you aren’t 100% satisfied with the paper. We also provide a money-back guarantee if you don’t feel that your paper was written to your satisfaction. This guarantee is totally transparent and follows all the terms and conditions set by the company.Read more
All products that we deliver are guaranteed to be 100% original. We check for unoriginality on all orders delivered by our writers using the most advanced anti-plagiarism programs in the market. We, therefore, guarantee that all products that we submit to you are 100% original. We have a zero-tolerance policy for copied content. Thanks to our strict no plagiarized work rule, you can submit your homework to your professor without worrying.Read more
TThis is one of the most cherished courtesy services that we provide to help ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with our finished products. Delivering the best final product to our customers takes multiple inputs. 111papers.com prides itself on delivering the best university homework help services in the writing industry. And, in part, our free revision policy is how we do it. What’s more, all our revisions are 100% free without any strings attached.Read more
Client privacy is important to use. We know and understand just how important customers value their privacy and always want to safeguard their personal information. Thus, all the information that you share with us will always remain in safe custody. We will never disclose your personal information to any third party or sell your details to anyone. 111 Papers uses the most sophisticated, top-of-the-line security programs to ensure that our customers’ information is safe and secured.Read more
Placing your order with us means that you agree with the homework help service we provide. We, in turn, will endear to ensure that we do everything we can to deliver the most comprehensive finished product as per your requirements. We will also count on your cooperation to help us deliver on this mandate. Yes, we also need you to ensure that you have the highest-quality paper.Read more