1. Water-soluble hormones, such as proteins and peptide hormones, activate target cells using _______.
a. direct gene activation
b. the second-messenger system
c. steroid hormone action
2. The most common stimulus for prodding endocrine glands into action is ________.
d. direct gene activation
3. The endocrine gland most closely associated with the hypothalamus is the ________.
b. pineal gland
c. thyroid gland
d. pituitary gland
4. The target organ of thyrotropic hormone (TH), or thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), is the ________ gland.
5. Alcohol suppresses the production of this hormone, ________, which normally promotes water
retention and prevents dehydration.
a. antidiuretic hormone (ADH)
c. thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
d. cortisolUnit 3 Examination 128 GED 102 The Human Body
6. The hypothalamus makes two hormones, ________ and ________, that are stored by the posterior pituitary.
a. oxytocin; antidiuretic hormone (ADH)
b. cortisol; aldosterone
c. growth hormone; prolactin
d. antidiuretic hormone (ADH); prolactin
7. Normal blood pH falls in a range between ________ to ________.
a. 7.1; 7.2
b. 7.35; 7.45
c. 7.6; 7.75
d. 7.85; 8.05
8. An important plasma protein that contributes to the osmotic pressure of blood is ________.
9. The percentage of erythrocytes in blood is known as the ________.
b. buffy coat
10. Each hemoglobin molecule is able to transport ________ molecule(s) of oxygen.
11. A decrease in the oxygen-carrying ability of the blood, for any reason, is a condition known as ________.
12. Life at a high altitude can lead to a red blood cell disorder known as ________.
13. The layer of the heart wall that receives the stimulus from letter E is called the ________.
14. The partition where the bundle branches are located is called the ________.
a. left atrioventricular groove
b. interatrial septum
c. interventricular septum
d. right atrioventricular groove
15. The pointed, inferior portion of the heart, known as the ________, rests on the diaphragm and is oriented toward the left hip.
16. The visceral layer of the serous pericardium is actually the same layer as the ________.
c. fibrous pericardium
17. The two superior receiving chambers of the heart are known as the ________, while the two inferior discharging chambers of the heart are known as the ________.
a. ventricles; atria
b. atria; ventricles
c. arteries; veins
d. veins; arteries
18. The valves located between the atria and ventricles are known as the ________ valves.
b. atrioventricular (AV)
19. Blood leaves the left ventricle through an artery known as the ________.
a. pulmonary trunk
c. superior vena cava
d. coronary sinus
20. Lymph fluid and some plasma proteins originate (escape) from the ________.
a. intracellular fluid
b. blood vascular system
c. endocrine system
d. respiratory system
21. Excess accumulation of fluid, which impairs the exchange of materials within the tissues, is called ________.
d. MALT (mucosa-associated lymphatic tissue)
22. The ________ duct drains lymph from the right arm and the right side of the head and thorax.
d. right lymphatic
23. Bacteria and tumor cells are removed from lymph by ________.
a. lymph nodes
c. the spleen
24. The role of the ________ is to trap and remove bacteria or other foreign pathogens entering the throat.
d. lymph node
25. Peyer’s patches and the tonsils are part of the collection of small lymphoid tissues that protect the upper respiratory and digestive tracts from infection and are referred to as ________.
a. lymph nodes
b. MALT or mucosa-associated lymphatic tissue
c. germinal centers
At 111papers.com, we value all our customers, and for that, always strive to ensure that we deliver the best top-quality content that we can. All the processes, from writing, formatting, editing, and submission is 100% original and detail-oriented. With us, you are, therefore, always guaranteed quality work by certified and experienced writing professionals. We take pride in the university homework help services that we provide our customers.
As the best homework help service in the world, 111 Papers ensures that all customers are completely satisfied with the finished product before disbursing payment. You are not obligated to pay for the final product if you aren’t 100% satisfied with the paper. We also provide a money-back guarantee if you don’t feel that your paper was written to your satisfaction. This guarantee is totally transparent and follows all the terms and conditions set by the company.Read more
All products that we deliver are guaranteed to be 100% original. We check for unoriginality on all orders delivered by our writers using the most advanced anti-plagiarism programs in the market. We, therefore, guarantee that all products that we submit to you are 100% original. We have a zero-tolerance policy for copied content. Thanks to our strict no plagiarized work rule, you can submit your homework to your professor without worrying.Read more
TThis is one of the most cherished courtesy services that we provide to help ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with our finished products. Delivering the best final product to our customers takes multiple inputs. 111papers.com prides itself on delivering the best university homework help services in the writing industry. And, in part, our free revision policy is how we do it. What’s more, all our revisions are 100% free without any strings attached.Read more
Client privacy is important to use. We know and understand just how important customers value their privacy and always want to safeguard their personal information. Thus, all the information that you share with us will always remain in safe custody. We will never disclose your personal information to any third party or sell your details to anyone. 111 Papers uses the most sophisticated, top-of-the-line security programs to ensure that our customers’ information is safe and secured.Read more
Placing your order with us means that you agree with the homework help service we provide. We, in turn, will endear to ensure that we do everything we can to deliver the most comprehensive finished product as per your requirements. We will also count on your cooperation to help us deliver on this mandate. Yes, we also need you to ensure that you have the highest-quality paper.Read more