1. Buckhorn Corporation bases its predetermined overhead rate on the estimated machine hours for the upcoming year. Data for the upcoming year appear below.
Estimated machine hours 85,000
Estimated total fixed manufacturing overhead $951,888
Compute the company’s predetermined overhead rate.
2. Matuseski Corporation is preparing its cash budget for October. The budgeted beginning cash balance is $17,000. Budgeted cash receipts total $187,000 and budgeted cash disbursements total $177,000. The desired ending cash balance is $40,000. The company can borrow up to $120,000 at any time from a local bank, with interest not due until the following month.
Prepare the company’s cash budget for October in good form.
3. Nic Saybin Enterprises Accounting Department collects all pertinent monthly operating data. Selected data are presented below for the current month. From the data provided, please provide Saybin Enterprises Management with a flexible budget analysis to see how costs were controlled.
4. McMullen Co. manufactures automatic door openers. The company uses 15,000 electronic hinges per year as a component in the assembly of the openers. You have been engaged by McMullen to assist with an evaluation of whether the company should continue producing the hinges or purchase them from an outside vendor.
The Accounting Department provided the following detail regarding the annual cost to produce electronic hinges:
Direct materials $54,000
Direct labor 60,000
Variable manufacturing overhead 36,000
Fixed manufacturing overhead 90,000
Total costs $240,000
The Procurement Department provided the following supplier pricing:
Supplier A price per hinge $11.00
Supplier B price per hinge $10.75
Supplier C price per hinge $10.50
The supplier pricing was obtained in response to a formal request for proposal (RFP). Procurement has determined these suppliers meet McMullen’s technical specifications and quality requirements.
If McMullen stops producing the part internally, 10% of the manufacturing overhead would be eliminated.
Required: Prepare a make-or-buy analysis showing the annual advantage or disadvantage of accepting an outside supplier’s offer.
3. (TCO E) Topple Company produces a single product. Operating data for the company and its absorption costing income statement for the last year are presented below:
Units in beginning inventory 2,000
Units produced 9,000
Units sold 10,000
Less cost of goods sold:
Beginning inventory 12,000
Add cost of goods manufactured 54,000
Goods available for sale 66,000
Less ending inventory 6,000
Cost of goods sold 60,000
Gross margin 40,000
Less selling and admin. expenses 28,000
Net operating income $12,000
Variable manufacturing costs are $4 per unit. Fixed factory overhead totals $18,000 for the year. This overhead was applied at a rate of $2 per unit. Variable selling and administrative expenses were $1 per unit sold.
Required: Prepare a new income statement for the year using variable costing. Comment on the differences between the absorption costing and the variable costing income statements. (Points : 30)
4. (TCO A) The following data (in thousands of dollars) have been taken from the accounting records of the Maroon Corporation for the just-completed year.
Raw materials inventory, beginning 25
Raw materials inventory, ending 50
Purchases of raw materials 180
Direct labor 230
Manufacturing overhead 250
Administrative expenses 400
Selling expenses 200
Work-in-process inventory, beginning 150
Work-in-process inventory, ending 120
Finished goods inventory, beginning 100
Finished goods inventory, ending 110
Use the above data to prepare (in thousands of dollars) a schedule of Cost of Goods Manufactured and a Schedule of Cost of Goods Sold for the year. In addition, what is the impact on the financial statements if the ending finished goods inventory is overstated or understated? (Points : 25)
. (TCO F) Carter Corporation uses the weighted-average method in its process costing system. Data concerning the first processing department for the most recent month are listed below.
Work in process, beginning:
Units in beginning work-in-process inventory 400
Materials costs $6,900
Conversion costs $2,500
Percentage complete for materials 80%
Percentage complete for conversion 15%
Units started into production during the month 6,000
Units transferred to the next department during the month 5,800
Materials costs added during the month $112,500
Conversion costs added during the month $210,300
Ending work in process:
Units in ending work-in-process inventory 1,400
Percentage complete for materials 70%
Percentage complete for conversion 40%
Required: Calculate the equivalent units for materials (using the weighted-average method) for the month in the first processing department. (Points : 25)
2. (TCO G) – (Ignore income taxes in this problem.) Axillar Beauty Products Corporation is considering the production of a new conditioning shampoo that will require the purchase of new mixing machinery. The machinery will cost $375,000, is expected to have a useful life of 10 years, and is expected to have a salvage value of $50,000 at the end of 10 years. The machinery will also need a $35,000 overhaul at the end of Year 6. A $40,000 increase in working capital will be needed for this investment project. The working capital will be released at the end of the 10 years. The new shampoo is expected to generate net cash inflows of $85,000 per year for each of the 10 years. Axillar’s discount rate is 16%.
(a) What is the net present value of this investment opportunity?
(b) Based on your answer to (a) above, should Axillar go ahead with the new conditioning shampoo?
3. (TCO B) Madlem, Inc., produces and sells a single product whose selling price is $240.00 per unit and whose variable expense is $86.40 per unit. The company’s fixed expense is $720,384 per month.
Determine the monthly break-even in either unit or total dollar sales. Show your work!
At 111papers.com, we value all our customers, and for that, always strive to ensure that we deliver the best top-quality content that we can. All the processes, from writing, formatting, editing, and submission is 100% original and detail-oriented. With us, you are, therefore, always guaranteed quality work by certified and experienced writing professionals. We take pride in the university homework help services that we provide our customers.
As the best homework help service in the world, 111 Papers ensures that all customers are completely satisfied with the finished product before disbursing payment. You are not obligated to pay for the final product if you aren’t 100% satisfied with the paper. We also provide a money-back guarantee if you don’t feel that your paper was written to your satisfaction. This guarantee is totally transparent and follows all the terms and conditions set by the company.Read more
All products that we deliver are guaranteed to be 100% original. We check for unoriginality on all orders delivered by our writers using the most advanced anti-plagiarism programs in the market. We, therefore, guarantee that all products that we submit to you are 100% original. We have a zero-tolerance policy for copied content. Thanks to our strict no plagiarized work rule, you can submit your homework to your professor without worrying.Read more
TThis is one of the most cherished courtesy services that we provide to help ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with our finished products. Delivering the best final product to our customers takes multiple inputs. 111papers.com prides itself on delivering the best university homework help services in the writing industry. And, in part, our free revision policy is how we do it. What’s more, all our revisions are 100% free without any strings attached.Read more
Client privacy is important to use. We know and understand just how important customers value their privacy and always want to safeguard their personal information. Thus, all the information that you share with us will always remain in safe custody. We will never disclose your personal information to any third party or sell your details to anyone. 111 Papers uses the most sophisticated, top-of-the-line security programs to ensure that our customers’ information is safe and secured.Read more
Placing your order with us means that you agree with the homework help service we provide. We, in turn, will endear to ensure that we do everything we can to deliver the most comprehensive finished product as per your requirements. We will also count on your cooperation to help us deliver on this mandate. Yes, we also need you to ensure that you have the highest-quality paper.Read more