Assignment 2: Errors in Reasoning
In this assignment, you will select one of the claims listed below. Using what you know about the topic, describe at least four claims that might commonly be made that display some of the errors in reasoning covered in this module’s readings. You may have to do a bit of research to find popular positions on these topics.
For example, if the claim is: Children should not be allowed to play violent video games.
Then four common claims about the subject might be:
1. Children have always played violent games and they turned out okay.
2. Dr. Dre says that violent video games are okay.
3. Everybody knows that violent video games don’t cause problems.
4. Many countries banned violent video games and they have higher crime rates than we do.
And the errors they represent might be:
1. Children have always played violent games and they turned out okay (appeal to tradition and false analogy).
2. Dr. Dre says that violent video games are okay (argument by mistaken authority).
3. Everybody knows that violent video games don’t cause problems (appeal to common belief).
4. Many countries banned violent video games and they have higher crime rates than we do (post hoc ergo propter hoc).
1. Any sentence that talks about how we have always done something as a way to justify doing it is an appeal to tradition.
2. The claim looks like it comes from an authority, but Dr. Dre is a musician, not a doctor.
3. Any claim that says that everyone knows something as a way to justify doing it is an appeal to common belief.
4. Showing that two things happened (that video games are accepted and crime is up) does not prove that the two things are related or that the first caused the second; this is called post hoc ergo propter hoc, which means after this, so because of this.
Select one of these topics. Using what you know about the topic and additional research you conduct, describe at least four claims that might commonly be made that display some of the errors in reasoning covered in this module’s readings.
1. Should people under 18 be subjected to legal curfews or restricted driving privileges?
2. Should libraries be required to install filtering software or otherwise censor the materials that they provide?
3. Should insurance companies be required to pay for breast reconstruction, birth control pills, or Viagra?
4. Should the use of camera phones be banned in gymnasiums or other locations?
Write your 600-word response in the Microsoft Word document format. Name the file M2_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc, and submit it to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Wednesday, March 9, 2016.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Provided at least four commonly made claims about your selected topic (four common claims).||
|Named the errors found in each common claim (the errors represented).||
|Explained what factors show that the error is present (definitions).||
|Applied current APA standards for editorial style, expression of ideas, and format of text, citations, and references. Professionally presented the response by using good grammar, spelling, and punctuation.||
At 111papers.com, we value all our customers, and for that, always strive to ensure that we deliver the best top-quality content that we can. All the processes, from writing, formatting, editing, and submission is 100% original and detail-oriented. With us, you are, therefore, always guaranteed quality work by certified and experienced writing professionals. We take pride in the university homework help services that we provide our customers.
As the best homework help service in the world, 111 Papers ensures that all customers are completely satisfied with the finished product before disbursing payment. You are not obligated to pay for the final product if you aren’t 100% satisfied with the paper. We also provide a money-back guarantee if you don’t feel that your paper was written to your satisfaction. This guarantee is totally transparent and follows all the terms and conditions set by the company.Read more
All products that we deliver are guaranteed to be 100% original. We check for unoriginality on all orders delivered by our writers using the most advanced anti-plagiarism programs in the market. We, therefore, guarantee that all products that we submit to you are 100% original. We have a zero-tolerance policy for copied content. Thanks to our strict no plagiarized work rule, you can submit your homework to your professor without worrying.Read more
TThis is one of the most cherished courtesy services that we provide to help ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with our finished products. Delivering the best final product to our customers takes multiple inputs. 111papers.com prides itself on delivering the best university homework help services in the writing industry. And, in part, our free revision policy is how we do it. What’s more, all our revisions are 100% free without any strings attached.Read more
Client privacy is important to use. We know and understand just how important customers value their privacy and always want to safeguard their personal information. Thus, all the information that you share with us will always remain in safe custody. We will never disclose your personal information to any third party or sell your details to anyone. 111 Papers uses the most sophisticated, top-of-the-line security programs to ensure that our customers’ information is safe and secured.Read more
Placing your order with us means that you agree with the homework help service we provide. We, in turn, will endear to ensure that we do everything we can to deliver the most comprehensive finished product as per your requirements. We will also count on your cooperation to help us deliver on this mandate. Yes, we also need you to ensure that you have the highest-quality paper.Read more