Course Project, Transcultural Assessment Milestone 1: Individual’s Profile (graded, 100 points)
The purpose of the Course Project is to give the student the opportunity to apply concepts in transcultural nursing by performing a transcultural nursing assessment.
The purpose of Milestone 1 is to identify an adult who is not a relative who is willing to participate in the transcultural assessment and to secure the instructor’s approval for the assessment. Note: The actual assessment does not occur until Milestone 3. It is not a purpose for this assignment.
CO1: Identify theories, concepts, and beliefs related to transcultural nursing. (PO1)
CO2: Communicate effectively with culturally diverse individuals, families, and organizations. (PO3)
CO4: Perform a culturally competent nursing assessment. (PO7)
The entire project is worth 600 points. Milestone 1 is worth 100 points of this total.
You are to submit your completed NR394 Milestone 1 by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT, at the end of Week 3.
Requirements and Guidelines
1. Review the Course Outcomes for this assignment, which are listed above.
2. Review the guidelines for Milestones 1, 2, and 3, paying particular attention to Milestone 1 for this assignment. The guidelines for all of the Milestones are located in Modules on the left-hand navigation menu. Also, read the Course Project Overview page in Introduction & Resources for more details and helpful tips.
3. Identify a potential individual who has been living in a culture other than the one of origin for at least 2 years. This individual must be born outside the United States. The individual can be a patient, friend, or colleague, such as a physician, or acquaintance, but cannot be a relative. The individual must be living in your community and must be currently receiving or have previously received healthcare services in your community. The individual’s race, ethnicity, language, religion, and culturally based beliefs about healthcare and illness should be quite different from yours. The individual must speak your language. An interpreter is not permitted for the actual assessment, which occurs in Milestone 3 (Week 6).
Note: This is the same individual for whom you will develop verbal assessment questions in Milestone 2 and whom you will ask those questions in Milestone 3 and then reflect on your learning about the Course Project and the assessment.
4. Individuals can come from a variety of settings. Recent immigrants, migrant workers, exchange students, international students, long-term care residents, refugees, coworkers, physicians, patients, employees at local ethnic businesses, religious venues, community centers, and individuals who have recently moved to your community are some suggestions. The individual does not need to be a healthcare worker but must have received healthcare services in the country of origin as well as since arriving in the United States. Work with your instructor prior to submitting Milestone 1. Approval must be provided by your instructor before submitting Milestone 1 (this assignment).
5. Speak with the individual, and obtain permission to conduct an assessment later in the course. Clearly explain that statements made in the assessment will be recorded (written) and submitted to the instructor only. It is not intended for public distribution. Anonymity will be maintained by using first and last initials only. Do not use names in any of your documents.
6. Download the NR394_Individual_Profile_Template (Links to an external site.). Although you are not performing the official assessment until Milestone 3, it will be necessary to obtain some general information about your individual to complete Milestone 1. This information may come from the individual or Internet sources.
7. Fill in information about the potential individual using the template. You are expected to write clearly and use proper grammar and spelling and eliminate typos.
8. Submit the completed template by the end of Week 3 at 11:59 p.m. MT.
Example: KC was born in Hwidiem, Ghana, a small village in Africa, where he did not graduate from high school. He is 72 years old. He immigrated to the United States at age 28 and has lived in Grove City near Columbus, Ohio since then. Hwidiem is considered the provincial capital (fill in information about the community or city as you can find). He was married but divorced after a traumatic brain injury. Since then, he has had many part-time jobs and studies his Bible faithfully. Grove City is a town in Ohio (fill in information about the city or community). Currently, he receives healthcare for his hypertension control. I met him 3 years ago at a senior citizens’ center where I volunteer.
**Academic Integrity Reminder**
College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
Note: Please use your browser’s File setting to save or print this page.
NR394 Milestone_1 – May 2019
NR394 Milestone_1 – May 2019
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeDescription of individual and culture/community of origin
Provides first and last initials of individual; states profession and/or career choice of individual; describes specifically the country/community/city of birth and culture of origin of individual.
Provides both the first and last initial of individual, age, profession or career choice; country of birth and thoroughly describes culture/community/city of origin.
Provides first and last initial of individual age; gives general descriptions of profession or career choice; clearly describes culture/community/city of origin.
Provides first and last initials of individual. Mentions specific culture/community/city but details are incomplete; fails to mention profession or career choice.
Mentions individual by name instead of initials, which breaks confidentiality. Vaguely describes culture/community/city of origin and profession or career choice.
Does not provide initials of individual; fails to mention profession or career choice; does not describe specific culture of origin.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeTime in current community, and community
States the number of years individual has resided in your community. Provides a description of the individual’s current community.
Indicates the number of years individual has resided in your community. Provides a detailed description of that community.
Indicates the number of years individual has resided in the community. Provides a general description of that community.
Indicates the number of years the individual has resided in this community. Provides a brief description of that community.
Includes the number of years individual has resided in the community. Provides a vague description of that community.
Does not include number of years individual has resided in the United States. Does not provide a description of that community
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeRelationship with individual
Describes how nurse is acquainted with individual.
Thoroughly identifies the relationship of nurse to the individual, with details of how long each has known the other and the circumstances under which they met.
Clearly identifies the relationship of nurse to individual but fails to describe the length of the relationship and circumstances under which they met.
Generally identifies relationship of nurse to individual, but does not provide details of the length of the relationship or the circumstances under which each met.
Vaguely identifies relationship of nurse to individual, but does not provide details of the length of the relationship or the circumstances under which each met.
Does not identify relationship of nurse to individual.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeExplains reasons individual was selected, and individual’s interaction with previous and current community’s healthcare system.
Explains details of why individual was selected that speak to individual’s culture and experiences with previous and current healthcare systems.
Explains at least four reasons why the individual was selected that speak to the individual’s culture of origin and experiences with the previous and current healthcare system.
Explains three reasons why the individual was selected that mention the individual’s culture and experiences with previous and current the healthcare systems.
Explains two reasons why the individual was selected but does not include those that speak to the individual’s culture of origin or experiences with previous and current healthcare systems.
Explains only one reason why the individual was selected but does not include those that speak to the individual’s culture of origin or experiences with the previous or current healthcare systems.
Does not explain reasons individual was selected, or gives reasons that do not include the individual’s culture of origin or experiences with the previous or current healthcare systems.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics
Mechanics and formatting with minimal errors of the following: correct grammar and spelling using complete sentences
Excellent mechanics and formatting used with minimal errors of the following: – correct grammar and spelling using complete sentences
Good mechanics and formatting used and consideration given to the elements listed in the first column.
Fair mechanics and formatting used and consideration given to the elements listed in the first column.
Poor mechanics and formatting used and consideration given to the elements listed in the first column
Very poor mechanics and formatting such that paper is difficult to read.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeTemplate Use
0 points deducted
Correct template used.
10 points (10%) deduction Incorrect template used or NO template used results in a loss of 10 points (10%).
At 111papers.com, we value all our customers, and for that, always strive to ensure that we deliver the best top-quality content that we can. All the processes, from writing, formatting, editing, and submission is 100% original and detail-oriented. With us, you are, therefore, always guaranteed quality work by certified and experienced writing professionals. We take pride in the university homework help services that we provide our customers.
As the best homework help service in the world, 111 Papers ensures that all customers are completely satisfied with the finished product before disbursing payment. You are not obligated to pay for the final product if you aren’t 100% satisfied with the paper. We also provide a money-back guarantee if you don’t feel that your paper was written to your satisfaction. This guarantee is totally transparent and follows all the terms and conditions set by the company.Read more
All products that we deliver are guaranteed to be 100% original. We check for unoriginality on all orders delivered by our writers using the most advanced anti-plagiarism programs in the market. We, therefore, guarantee that all products that we submit to you are 100% original. We have a zero-tolerance policy for copied content. Thanks to our strict no plagiarized work rule, you can submit your homework to your professor without worrying.Read more
TThis is one of the most cherished courtesy services that we provide to help ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with our finished products. Delivering the best final product to our customers takes multiple inputs. 111papers.com prides itself on delivering the best university homework help services in the writing industry. And, in part, our free revision policy is how we do it. What’s more, all our revisions are 100% free without any strings attached.Read more
Client privacy is important to use. We know and understand just how important customers value their privacy and always want to safeguard their personal information. Thus, all the information that you share with us will always remain in safe custody. We will never disclose your personal information to any third party or sell your details to anyone. 111 Papers uses the most sophisticated, top-of-the-line security programs to ensure that our customers’ information is safe and secured.Read more
Placing your order with us means that you agree with the homework help service we provide. We, in turn, will endear to ensure that we do everything we can to deliver the most comprehensive finished product as per your requirements. We will also count on your cooperation to help us deliver on this mandate. Yes, we also need you to ensure that you have the highest-quality paper.Read more